Is ‘Batman Beyond’ the next Batman film? Here’s what we know so far
Feb 01, 2019
With the smash success of Sony and Marvel’s “Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse,” it was only a matter of time before we’d start hearing about an animated DC Comic contender.
Now we might just have one.
What’s happening: Warner Bros. is reportedly developing an animated “Batman Beyond” movie in response to the “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” film.
- According to Geeks Worldwide, Warner Bros. is looking at a 2022 release for the film, though that is not set in stone.
What we know: There’s no word on cast and crew at this point, but we do know some things about Warner Bros.’ Batman movie.
- The film will be based on the “Batman Beyond” television series from the ’90s, which follows high schooler Terry McGinnis as he takes on the mantle of Batman from a retired Bruce Wayne in the year 2039, according to Geeks Worldwide.
- CBR reported that Will Friedle, who voiced McGinnis in the original series, has expressed interest in a role for the new film.
— Will Friedle (@willfriedle) January 31, 2019
- Animated character concepts from the film were leaked Wednesday on Reddit. According to ComicBook.com, the colorized image shows a new take on the McGinnis character.
- Another released photo from a few days ago appears to show a Batcave display featuring Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing and the original Batman’s costumes.
“Into the Spider-Verse” was a wildly successful hit for Sony and Marvel, racking in $3.4 billion globally and being nominated for an Animated Feature Oscar earlier this month. Time will yet tell if DC can top that with its “Batman Beyond” film.