‘Hey we have anxiety and we’re OK with it’: Selena Gomez and Julia Michaels release new collab song ‘Anxiety’
Jan 25, 2019
Selena Gomez and Julia Michaels just collaborated on a new song about anxiety and their ex-boyfriends.
The song debuted on Apple Music Thursday.
Lyrics: Gomez sang about anxiety on the track.
- “Ι’ve always wanted tο be οne of thοse people in the rοοm that says sοmething and everyοne puts their hand up,” Gomez sings. “Like, if yοu’re sad put yοur hand up/Ιf yοu hate someone, put yοur hand up/Αnd if you’re scared, put yοur hand up.”
- “Feel like Ι’m always apologizing fοr feeling/Like Ι’m οut of my mind/When Ι’m doing just fine,” she sings. “And my exes all say that Ι’m hard tο deal with/Αnd I admit it, it’s true.”
Production: Michaels said in an interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music that she wanted to write a song about anxiety and the fear of missing out (FOMO), according to E! News.
- She said she sent the song to Gomez and hoped she would be interested in collaborating.
- “So we wrote ‘Anxiety’ and I sent it to Selena,” she said, according to E! News’ report on the interview. “And I was like, ‘I think it’d be really awesome to have a song with two women on it that struggle with the same thing, that are talking about something other than two women fighting for a guy’s attention.’ Or something like that. It’s almost like a female empowerment song without it being a female empowerment song. It’s us saying, ‘Hey we have anxiety and we’re OK with it.'”
- “And she was like, ‘I am so into this, I love this so much,'” Michaels shared. “And that’s how that whole thing happened, really. And I’m just so grateful that she’s on it and I’m so grateful that the song’s gonna be out. It’s just a way into the mind of someone that has anxiety and has these struggles for someone that doesn’t understand it.”